News:

All future registrations will need to be approved before activation
due to the increase in spammers registering.

Main Menu

PS5 Info

Started by Jason, January 07, 2020 @ 11:31 AM

Jason

I haven't played it, but I think Syphon Filter on the PS5 runs at 60fps.

I'm curious if you'll still love TLOU 2 once you get to the halfway point. I'm with the people who think it's a brilliant game. There's a lot to digest once you're done.

BoomerSooner

One thing I avoided over the years was not spoiling the story, outside of people saying you will hate the new female character, then things happen and it becomes split amongst the players.

They did a nice job on the first part so far. I am at the cabin with Joel and the golf club. It will be interesting where it goes but to be fair the new female character has died by my hands countless times as I am still getting used to the controls, the controller and the dodge system. The area right before the cabin where she meets Joel and his brother was like a short horror movie as many times as I got her killed. You just have no time to pop a med pack.

In the long scene before with Ellie and her friend with benefits, I never died because they do a really good job of making stealth the best option and it works well.

Jason

I only played it last summer and was able to avoid all spoilers before that. I had no idea who Abby was or what happens to Joel.

BoomerSooner

I don't even recall how it was spoiled it really did not bother me. I have always been a gameplay over story guy. Naughty Dog games and RDR/RDR2 are the only ones that I never skipped through any part of the story. Maybe a few others but it's rare.

Jason

Not sure how you feel about platformers, but the new Astro Bot game is getting great reviews. I'll get it for my son at some point.

BoomerSooner

I enjoy them in spurts. I played the Astro game that was included with the system. Beat all the levels once but no plans to go through and find all the secrets.  The reviews for the new one have been great but not worth $59.99 for me, especially after just playing the last one. With a deep discount I would give a try. So many games in my backlog now I have plenty to keep my busy.

Jason

PS5 Pro announcement coming today at 11am ET. Curious to see how much it's going to be.

Jason

It's an impressive console, but $700 for the digital-only version when the standard digital-only console is only $400 is a lot.

Brad Company

If I can get half of that in trade for my existing digital PS5, I might consider it. The disc drive and vertical stand can blow me.

Jason

I was unrealistically hoping for $600 so I could give my current PS5 to my older son and get a PS5 Pro for myself.

BoomerSooner

Yeah, $700 for a console with no drive.  When the PS4 Pro was released it retailed for $399.99 with a drive. Plus it looked like a stack of pancakes.  ;D

I am happy with what I got. Most of the games I have are remasters of PS4 games.  So that extra power does little for me.

Brad Company

Every game will benefit from upscaling, evidently.

BoomerSooner

But if a game is native 4k and my TV is 4k, what exactly is going to be upscaled? A question from someone that is not tech savvy. I have no clue how this stuff works.

It sounds like something you see on the back cover of an EA Sports game or when Sony came out with the "Emotion Engine" for the PS2.

Jason

Most games are not running at native 4K, especially games running in performance mode or 60fps. Even games running in fidelity mode at 30fps can be running at 1440 or 1080 and upscaled to 4k, and even then the resolution is dynamic.

BoomerSooner

That makes sense. I am definitely running most games in performance mode. I always prioritize framerate over resolution. That said framerate is more noticeable to my old eyes over 1080p vs 4k resolution.

Well it's not like I am the intended audience for the Pro as I just bought the PS5 digital slim. Everything I have played so far on it looks and runs great. Plua the Xbox remains my base console.